There are so many effects you can add to your TikTok video to make them special and one of the most popular is turning up the video speed or slowing it down.
Whether you’re creating a fun timelapse, looking to imitate fast-paced action, or doing something entirely unique, hitting fast forward has a lot of practical use on TikTok. Want to know how to speed up a TikTok video? Here’s how to get it done.
How to speed up a TikTok video while recording it
TikTok users can increase the speed of a video by using the speed icon in the corner of the screen while recording.
The effect can be tested in real-time so you can see if it’s coming out as desired. Keep in mind that TikTok’s maximum speed is only three times faster than the original speed. TikTok’s native speed-up function can only speed up the entire TikTok video, not specific parts. Here’s how to use it:
- Open TikTok and go to the “Video Record” section
- Tap the “Speed” icon on the top right of the screen
- Select either 2x or 3x
- Tap the “Record” button as you usually would
- Press the red checkmark once you’re done recording
Don’t want the sound speeded up? You can keep the original audio without it getting distorted if you tap “Add Sound” first and then press “Speed” after.
How to speed up a TikTok video you want to upload
Users can also make an existing video move faster before they post it to TikTok.
If you already have a video pre-recorded but feel it would do better numbers with this effect, you can luckily still add that effect when you go to upload it. Here’s how:
- Open TikTok and press the + button
- Go to the “Upload” button to open up your photo gallery
- Select the video you’d like to speed up and then press “Next”
- Press “Upload”
- Then press the speed button, choosing between 2x and 3x
- Add sounds, effects, stickers, captions, hashtags, and more
- Then press “Post to Publish” option