Harry Potter fans’ knowledge about the series’ fantastical wizardry will soon come in handy. A state of play video has revealed some familiar spells for fans of the upcoming Hogwarts Legacy game.
Warner Bros. and Avalanche Software’s first look inside the famed Hogwarts Castle has been enlightening for Harry Potter fans eagerly awaiting the game. A short clip has provided a glimpse into the ins and outs of Hogwarts to allow new first-years to prep ahead.
But school isn’t going to be easy. Fans are wondering whether their Harry Potter knowledge spanning over many years will help them ride out the game’s classes and courses. Judging by some of the familiar spells already spied out, these fans may just be in luck.
What are all the spells in Hogwarts Legacy?
Fortunately for true Harry Potter fans, the series’ famous spells will remain largely unchanged. The publisher hasn’t unveiled all charms and jinxes, but a few can already be noted in the game’s trailer. Here are all the confirmed spells in Hogwarts Legacy.
- Accio: The Summoning Charm brings an inanimate object to its castor. However, the character in the game also uses the spell to toss and tug enemies. So Accio may work a bit differently in Hogwarts Legacy.
- Confringo: The Blasting Curse causes its target to explode. It’s another spell that works best on structures, not on living beings.
- Diffindo: Taught in the first year and then again in the fifth year, Diffindo is a Severing Charm used to precisely cut an object.
- Descendo: A charm that lowers or slams objects towards the ground.
- Expelliarmus: One of the most popular spells and Harry Potter’s signature charms, used to disarm enemies. The enemy will drop whatever they’re holding as long as it’s a weapon.
- Incendio: The Fire-Making Charm produces a jet of flames.
- Lumos: The Wand-Lighting Charm produces light from the wand. It was notably used by the DumbleDore’s army in the Department of Mysteries.
- Oppugno: A Jinx that directs an object or individual to attack its target.
- Petrificus Totalus: The Body-Bind Curse petrifies the victim’s body. It was introduced in the first movie when Hermoine used it on Neville Longbottom.
- Reparo: The Mending Charm fixes broken objects.
- Stupefy: The Stunning Spell, another popular spell shown as a red beam and used to stun opponents in combat.
Many other spells have also emerged from the state of the play trailer, but the player’s character doesn’t speak the incantations aloud. Glacius was spotted, which freezes enemies as a nonverbal spell. Protego also appeared during a battle, a charm meant to protect the caster. The popular Levicorpuse jinx and transfiguration spells were also spotted in the short trailer without any explicit mentioning.
Can you use Avada Kedavra in Hogwarts Legacy?
One of the unforgivable curses, Avada Kedavra, will be one of the usable spells in Harry Potter. Wizards and witches were discouraged from using the Killing Curse while training at Hogwarts as it is a tool of Dark Arts. But players will be able to land an instant kill in Hogwarts Legacy by using the unforgivable curse.
What grim possibilities could await players who use this deadly spell? Players will find out later this year as Hogwarts Legacy is scheduled for a 2022 release date.