Jessica S. August 8, 2020
The battle for the title of Overwatch League MVP kicked off today with the League releasing the list of nominees.
10 candidates were chosen for the MVP award. The winner will take home a trophy, a patch on their jersey, and a $100,000 cash reward. Although it hasn’t been explicitly stated, MVP recipients for the past two seasons have also had a special skin added into the game in their honor.
The candidates for the 2020 season’s MVP award are as follows:
- Kim “Alarm” Kyeong-bo, flex support, Philadelphia Fusion
- Lee “Carpe” Jae-hyeok, DPS, Philadelphia Fusion
- Choi “Choihyobin” Hyo-bin, off-tank, San Francisco Shock
- Nam “Cr0ng” Ki-cheol, off-tank, Guangzhou Charge
- Ou “Eileen” Yiliang, off-tank, Guangzhou Charge
- Kim “Fleta” Byung-sun, DPS, Shanghai Dragons
- Park “Viol2t” Min-ki, flex support, San Francisco Shock
- Kang “Void” Jun-woo, off-tank, Shanghai Dragons
- Jung “Xzi” Ki-hyo, DPS, Paris Eternal
- Kim “Yaki” Jun-gi, DPS, Florida Mayhem
The votes will be collected from fans both on Twitter and the Overwatch League website. Fans can vote on Twitter by using the hashtag #OWLMVP and the name of their nominated player.
Fan vote counts for 25% of the total. The other 75% will be determined with input from a number of experts in the Overwatch League including general managers, staff, broadcast talent, and media.
Players hunting for MVP status still have a chance to impress fans in the Countdown Cup. The leader will be shown on the Overwatch League website, alongside the number of votes they have received.
Voting will be open from August 7 to 28 and the winner will be announced during a postseason broadcast on September 13. Other awards up for grabs this year are Rookie of the Year, Role Stars, the Dennis Hawelka Award, Grand Finals MVP, and new this year is an award for Coach of the Year.