Nick J. April 28, 2020
North American Counter-Strike: Global Offensive team Orgless has announced that they will cease competing in Valve's first-person shooter.
The team was currently involved in ESL's Road to Rio competition to determine the new attendees at November's CSGO Major. ESL made the announcement in a tweet from their official Twitter account.
The team had lost both of its games in the tournament so far with a disapointing against 2-0 loss to Cloud9 followed by a 2-1 loss to Evil Geniuses and . Orgless had recently made some waves in FLASHPOINT, finishing fifth at the event hosted in Los Angeles, California over the past weeks. Orgless had improved over the past several months, during which it continued to look for a sponsoring organization to represent in FLASHPOINT's inaugural season.
ESL closed its tweet by saying that it would not invite another team to take over Orgless' spot, a decision keeping in line with Valve's new hands on approach to managing the game's Majors. Soon after ESL's announcement, one of Orgless' veteran players Jaccob "yay" Whiteaker posted a tweet confiming ESL's announcement that the roster had disbanded.
yay followed up the tweet with a Twitch stream in which he shared what looks like one of the reasons that Orgless struggled to find an organizaiton for FLASHPIONT and ahead ESL One Rio's reworked qualifiers for the Rio Major.
"The situation that I'm in is a really weird one. It's very weird for anyone in the North America scene with all of us restructuriing into leagues and where the [organizations] are headed. It's a really weird situation for a lot of people," yay said.
Two other Orgless players, Matthew "WARDELL" Yu and Gauge "infinite" Green, also made short comments on the seperation. While WARDELL's had little in the way of insight into the decision for the roster to part ways, infinite's tweet pointed towards something inside the CSGO envinroment that he wasn't a fan of.
It looks as though CSGO's tournament wars haven't claimed their last victims, as yay went on to say that many opportunities for semi-pro Counter-Strike players have dried up since the reveal of Valorant.
"All our offers that we had pulled out when Valorant happened," yay said.