Jessica S. January 1, 2020
One more Overwatch League talent has announced his departure from the esport and one other is seemingly still up in the air, all just two months ahead of the start of the league’s third season.
Chris Puckett has been working on the OWL desk since the inaugural season in 2018, but has put out a life update on Twitter to announce that he’s moved back to New York because his wife has earned a promotion. Since he’ll no longer be on the west coast, he has said he cannot stay on the talent team and will be returning to freelance work in the future.
Although Puckett is known to many for his OWL work, he mentioned in his Twitter video that he did work in December with Twitch Rivals, has played competitive Fortnite, and has even gotten to work with the NFL for their Bud Light NFL Legend series where he met with legendary former player Emmitt Smith, a retired football running back who played primarily with the Dallas Cowboys.
Halo, Rocket League, Call of Duty, Counter Strike, Rainbow Six, and Apex Legends were all games mentioned by Puckett when listing the titles he was most excited to get into in 2020. Being a freelancer in an esports scene that is brimming with professional games and leagues means that Puckett could end up in any one of these mainstream games.
Prior to Overwatch League, Puckett was most known for his work with Major League Gaming. Call of Duty was a particular focus for MLG over the course of several years. There had been speculation that Puckett might be participating as talent in the new franchised Call of Duty World League that Activision Blizzard is launching in the model of its Overwatch League, but this move puts to bed those rumors.
Casting talent leave the Overwatch League
Another original OWL caster Christopher “MonteCristo” Mykles also announced his move away from the league yesterday. MonteCristo’s long-time broadcast partner Erik “DoA” Lonnquist responded to MonteCristo’s departure with a tweet about his own uncertain future. His OWL contract is currently expired, but he clarified that he wasn’t sure what 2020 was going to hold for him.
“I didn’t say I’m not coming back to OWL. I said my contract is over and I’m negotiating/weighing my options [at the moment].” DoA said on Twitter.
With the season set to start in less than two months, no plans for the casting talent has been released from the OWL yet. The structure and schedule of the casters is a topic fans are curious about, but may not hear about until the league’s start in February.